Lønborg Banke, Lønborg Church and the Royal House Lønborggaard
In the Middle Ages, salmon fishing and cattle farming on Skjern River meant that this area was interesting for both king and church. From 1100 there was a royal castle and a church on the hill.
The rough-hewn stone church was built later. It has many interesting frescoes. The royal castle was destroyed in the 17th century. In the 15th century, the Bishop of Ribe built a bishop’s palace to the west of Lønborggaard, the royal castle, which reverted to the crown after the Reformation.
Lønborggaard had a series of owners until the Danish state purchased the estate as part of the Skjern River Natural Restoration Project. Today Lønborggaard is a holiday centre.